Thursday, March 8, 2012

At the well

Reflecting upon the visit to Jacob's well on Thursday, I was so moved to stand on the same spot as our Lord had been when he spoke to the Samaritan woman at the well. The granddaughter of our host for the day was the one to lower the bucket into the working well and pull up a full container of crystal clear water from the stream running underneath. 

We read the gospel story aloud and then had the chance to touch or taste the water- I did both. Tasting the water made me feel at one with Jesus, and "experiencing" Jesus has been a major part of this pilgrimage to the Holy Land for me. I pray that I may bring others to "taste and see" through the invitation to share in experiencing Jesus through our common life and worship.

There are questions too- "Who's well is it- Jacob's? The Samaritan woman's? Jesus'? The modern day Palestinians who live there now? My guess, supported in faith, is that it is for all. Sometimes, like the water we tasted today, it's that clear.
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment